Ouch!

Annual Trail Rides: 42/200

Spring weather wreaks havoc on the trails. On Monday it poured all day long. I didnt even bother going to the barn. It was mild but oh so dreary. Then the wind picked up significantly and within a few hours we were deep in an arctic freeze. From +5C to -20C in 3 hours. 

Wonder what happened to those beautiful trails?

By Tuesday, despite the deep freeze, I went to the barn without any intention of riding. Somehow (?) after a few days of mild sunny days my body no longer tolerated -20C. I wanted nothing to do with it. I instead played with Q and gave him an extra long grooming session with lots of bananas and carrots. My arms were tired after that!

Wednesday was announcing a lovely spring day with sunshine and mild temperatures above freezing. Yeah!

Unfortunately there had been a good dusting of 3-4 inches of fluffy snow that layer treacherously on top of hard packed ice in the parking lot, so it was worrying. Incoming trail riders assured me that the trail footing was ok, but that the path to the trails was the worst!




I was heading out with the BO and baby study and the BO's niece and her steady mare. My task was to be the glue between the two, and keep the stud away from the mare. I was also tasked with helping the niece (a beginner) if any trouble happened. That would keep the BO's mind at ease. No problem!

So, instead of using the mounting block, I walked out with Q towards the trail head, and hopped on from a crusty snowbank! So far, so good.

But since I was a little nervous about the situation, I had put myself in the front position. No bueno! So, as soon as we were all mounted, I needed to jump off trail into deep snow, let baby stud pass, and then get into my second position.

The snow was DEEP! Q refused my first request to jump off trail, but then accepted my second request. Why don't we listen to our horses!!!!!

Once we fell into the deep crusty snow, Q started to panic-jump. It felt like riding a bronc. I held him deep, while the BO passed and she could see the panic in our eyes ... so she spooked me still by telling me not to jump on her. I held the reins, and we waited a few seconds for her to pass. We kept sinking in the snow.

Once she passed, I released the reins and Q leaped on to the trail like he was jumping a four foot fence from a standstill. As he landed expertly in one move onto the firm track while also managing a 60 degree turn, my entire body lurched backwards and then forwards hooking my jacket on to the saddle horn. Searing pain like a broken elastic on the back of my thigh. My hamstring muscle ripped. 

I made some strange guttural sound as I unhooked my jacket from the saddle horn, clutched my left thigh, and tried to catch my breath. BO was trying to figure out if I was hurt, I couldn't really answer, and Q just kept on walking down the trail like nothing happened. After a few minutes of breathing and clutching, I said we should just carry on, and that's exactly what we did. With baby study in front, Q in second, and steady mare behind.

We had a lovely walk to the winter ravine and back and the footing was actually quite good. The rain and deep freeze had not impacted it, so it was nice. And the weather was warm and sunny so that was a big bonus.

It was baby stud's first time down the winter ravine and we were greeted by our beautiful Barred Owl who gracefully demonstrated his flight skills twice while we tried to get our cameras ready. I didn't even bother with my phone as I wanted to watch him instead. So beautiful.

But then baby stud decided he didn't want to go down the ravine and over the fallen tree. But I just told the BO to do what she needed to do, and I took care of her niece as we went down the ravine. On the other side, the footing was even more lovely ... but the niece started saying how she was sore from riding and I realized that I needed to go back too. My hamstring was throbbing and I needed to get off soon.

So we headed back and all was fine until we came up to two trail riders on an eight foot wide groomed passage, one of which was riding a violent and aggressive mare of which he had no control. When baby stud came to pass the mare threw herself in front of him and started kicking hard and fast. With the commotion, I turned back to the niece and said "turn around". We headed back on the trail where it was wider and waited in safety while BO got baby stud to safety and the other riders got out of the way. 

In all my years of trail riding this was the most dangerous situation by far. It shows how important it is to be able to get out of the way, by either doing a 180 on a very narrow trail, or by going in deep snow or off trail. Being in the range of a double-barrelled double-kick from an angry and overly opinionated horse is off the charts dangerous. And certainly made worse by a rider that has no control.

The man riding was someone we knew well. A former amateur eventer, he had boarded with us for many years, and as he got older he often dreamed about trading in his 18h warmbloods for a nice quiet 15h quarter horse reiner that he could just quietly lope on the trails in a big old comfy western saddle. Unfortunately it seems like he didn't know enough about QH to pick out a nice quiet type, and he ended up with a big beasty halter horse chestnut mare that is now overfed and underworked. 

I had noticed something on Sunday when I had encountered them on the trails and he was afraid to pass me on the ravine. He went to the side where the mare proceeded to throw herself into the snow twice while I passed. I took note, but just kept moving on.

After yesterday's event, I will no longer be complacent and will actively look for safe options to pass him and his mare. The rider has skill, but after a silly injury last year where he broke a bone in his pelvis, he no longer can ride for more than 40 minutes at a walk. When the BO and I reconstructed the event afterwards, she told me that he looked scared.

Unless this gets fixed, I suspect he will stop riding soon.

We headed back home nice and quiet, and the BO was happy I took care of her niece in the situation. I knew she could take care of herself and really there was no need to have a clusterf$#@ of five horses on an eight foot trail with nowhere to go.

I got off without too much effort, but since the parking lot was still icy I had to walk through uneven trails to get to the barn and that was tough with my hamstring torn. I almost abandoned my horse and let him go to the barn on his own. I walked very very slowly and Q was so respectful at walking behind me and not crowding me. I also held on to his neck like a crutch on the more challenging sections.

Once I was on firm ground, I could walk with a limp. I can't bend down without pain. Google says its a mild hamstring sprain (Type 1) and that it should take a few days to recover. Conservative estimates say 3 weeks before returning to activity ... but that's crazy talk. I'll just take it easy today, lots of anti-inflammatories, and then go for an easy ride tomorrow.

I mean, it's going to be nice and sunny after all with a few more inches of snow! But I will stay on the trail and avoid the deep snow shenanigans.


Comments

  1. Ouch!! I'm glad it actually wasn't worse than that. I had a friend end up with a broken leg because a horse double barreled her horse and got her too. I broke a bone in my pelvis when another horse charged mine in a lesson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch! Pelvis break is WAY WAY worse! As are any broken bones! Yikes!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Q gets acupuncture

The Arctic Winter Riding Handbook

What the whip?

Gloomy November

Harvest season