In between storms

Being a citygirl with my horse out in the country has its benefits and drawbacks. With a two-hour commute back and forth I don't make light of my decision to "go to the barn". I have become a fair weather rider, and I rely on the barn team to compensate for my absence when it happens. I do manage to get out to the barn 3-4 times a week in all seasons and almost every trip includes at least an hour ride. On average this makes for a 5-6 hour commitment when I go.






So, when the weather channel announces heavy rain, strong winds, blizzards or scorching heat ... whether for road conditions or just my forecasted lack of enjoyment, I often decide to stay home. Every once in a while the weather channel gets it wrong, and sometimes I just decide to chance it. Even when I get back sopping wet, Im never disappointed for having gone on a ride. Especially with Q. He makes me smile and giggle every single time. What a keeper!

Aside from a great barn environment, and adorable horse, and fun riding friends ... there is one big secret ingredient to my happiness. And it just so happens that the great trail network that borders our barn with 200 kilometers of gallop tracks, windy forest paths, ravines, sand pits, trails that are groomed in all seasons and volunteers that patrol, mark, clean, and maintain the bridges, culvers, signage and fence posts ... well that part is invaluable.






There is the little 20 minute loop I do on the single track forest paths near our barn when Im feeling "meh", there is the 40 minute fast-pace loop I do when I just want to go fast and I dont have much time. There are endless series of 60-90 minute loops I can do. And then there is the "grand tour" that is a 6 hour monstrosity which leaves my hip sore for days.

This week has been fascinating with lots of unplanned rides in some pretty fantastic conditions and weather. Good thing I dont always listen to the weather channel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canter Protocol

Quaint Krakow

Prague, dark and moody

Stepping out in Hungary

My worst hour