When your horse makes a “mistake”. Part 3

Before we talk about the chronic mistakes, let’s discuss the occasional slips and telegraphing. I’ve had much success in focusing only on the behaviour. As training evolves, and my “box” narrows, my “ask” becomes increasingly specific. This may actually be the reason why I despise arena work these days, as Im not interested in the work and discipline required to be so specific.

I believe in the philosophy of whisper, request, ask, demand with at least a beat of time in between each escalation. I believe in the release of aids while the horse is completing the ask and I believe the horse needs to maintain the ask until I provide a new instruction.

Im pretty black and white.

It starts at the mounting block. I spent six months teaching Q to parallel park using Tristan Tuckers turn on the forehand move. I get on, fuss with the saddle and bridle, feed Q a peppermint, wait some more, and then I move on with a specific request (either turn on the haunches or straight forward walk). The request usually involves a light neck rein and outside leg. Any unrequested movement would prompt some repetition on standing or mounting/dismounting.

When I set the path, I establish guardrails in my mind. If he eeks out of my 20 meter circle I will give a proportionate response in the opposite direction. Usually Q looks for the path of least resistance. If I am clear about what response gets the release, Q is quick to repeat the behaviour.

When he was younger and greener, I would let him “look” which sometimes meant stop and be a giraffe when something was spooky. Now that our “box” is narrower, an unprompted stop and be a  giraffe would be considered a mistake.


  1. Whisper = Intention plus seat position 
  2. Request = Heat of calf plus light neckrein 
  3. Ask = Leg plus bit contact
  4. Demand = Strong leg plus direct rein


When he exits the “box”, I will skip the step of whisper and go straight to request which is a clear leg or neckrein aid to stay in his box (direction, bend, pace). Skipping a step in the progression is his punishment. (But only one step) And then as soon as he delivers, I release. I work hard to not play the anticipation game and start micro managing because of my own fear of his repeating the mistake or taking off with a spin, buck and bolt.

I give him the opportunity and freedom to make mistakes.

I see mistakes as training opportunities.

My role is to define the “box” for the day and let him rise to the occasion. I do not presume mistakes will happen and I definitely do not prevent them from happening.

Making mistakes is an important step in the learning process.

It also requires that we let go.

So what did I do when Q spooked while cantering on trail and start cross-firing (leading to the right with front legs and on the left lead with back legs, creating a washer machine effect? I did not stop and regroup. I did not get flustered. I put him back on the left lead and kept cantering.


Comments

  1. I’m working on being super clear about what is correct or not.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Q gets acupuncture

Harvest season

Preparing Patagonia

What the whip?

Come ride with me, in five sections