Another sign of autumn

Crisp evening temperatures, sharper shadows of light, schoolbuses on the road ... and the first tree turned red! I had been seeing hints of colour along the edges of meadows, but this red maple beauty was waiting for me around the bend of one of my favourite trails.
First red tree of the year!


We pickled some peppers this weekend, in preparation for our eventual crop of alma paprika. Hubby felt it was important we road-tested the brine and canning process before we did the deed with his harvest of precious spicy jewels. So bell peppers from costco filled in. I added different flavours to each jar to see if it made a difference (plain, five peppers, cardamom, caraway). We now have to wait 6 weeks before we taste them.
First pickled peppers!

Aside from that it was a weekend of riding, bbqing and celebrating hubby’s new job. Yesterday was my first real ride in six days (after weeks of almost daily riding) and when my trail buddy cantered we almost had no brakes. It was a struggle. So, it was off to the arena today for some schooling. We did hundreds of transitions, teardrop turns, canter departs, turn on the haunches, canter departs, and lots of leg yielding. I even practiced a new exercise (to me) of transition to and out of the trot within the leg yield. It definitely gave Q more oomph to his leg yields.

When we got back on trail Q was back to his delightful light and soft canter without contact. Yeah!

Later on, I also encountered the strangest mushrooms on a tree. What could these be? Edible?
Mushroom growing like a beautiful yellow orange tipped flower on a tree.

This week, first day of meeting my new class.

Comments

  1. I am torn. I'm not ready for winter but love riding in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope not torn! Just love fall! ;-)And I love winter too!
      Blame living in the semi-tropics for 10+ years. ;-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Prague, dark and moody

Canter Protocol

Pocketful of mints, aka the slowroll

Pumpkin Spice and the empty cup

The trail that didn’t count but mattered more