Waterworks with my old trail buddy

What a great ride yesterday! Q and I accompanied our past trail buddy who switched barns last spring and really struggled this summer with what appears to be seasonal headshaking. Bummer.

I also tried something that seemed to work, but not sure if it's just coincidence. When his horse started violently headshaking (clearly in pain), I stopped and turned around to face him. The horse looked at me, stopped headshaking and I gave him a peppermint. In all, I gave him three peppermints during the ride (not when he was actually shaking), and it seemed to distract him?

We also worked hard on keeping the pace low-key and the horses on the buckle. I did have to remind my friend to drop the reins several times, but I think his horse appreciated the lack of pressure. The headshaking seems to be light sensitivity, and perhaps some allergies as well. The horse wore a dark flymask to protect his eyes from the sun, and it seems to help. The symptoms disappear at night, and will likely disappear in the next few weeks like they did last year. The medications prescribed by the vet have not had any effect.

Playtime in the water

We tried to keep to the shady trails, went playing in creeks, and took a slow roll on our favorite trails. It was lovely. And my buddy got to have a nice relaxing trail ride with minimal headshaking.

In the creek, Q started getting quite excited by the water and was alternately splashing with each leg. He was excited! At one point my trail buddy was a little worried that Q would drop and roll in the water. I wasnt too nervous since I couldnt feel his knees buckling. But of course we know how fast these things can happen.
Slow roll on the buckle

But it didn't. We safely crossed the water, and did about 10 km in over two hours. A slow roll on the buckle.

Comments

  1. So Irish is a head shaker. It seemed to be triggered by light and possibly allergies. I read that some horses respond well to Magnesium oxide. I tried it and it definitely eased his symptoms. This year he has done very very little head shaking. I give both horses (in case it's a lack of mg in the hay) a tbsp morning and night in their feed. You can buy it from tack shops (expensive 30-50$/month) or from a feed store as a cattle feed additive. I buy it that way and it costs me about $40 for the year. the down side is that it's a powder so you need to dampen the feed for it to stick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very helpful! I dont think he mentioned Mg oxide, but I will definitely ask.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quaint Krakow

Prague, dark and moody

Canter Protocol

My worst hour

Pocketful of mints, aka the slowroll