Just like summer camp

I finally did it! I found the courage, time, and circumstances to go for a trail ride bareback in a halter/lead combo. I felt like I was 12 years old again. Awesome!

Ive been practicing without stirrups for months now, having graduated to trotting on trail behind M and her chunky paint this last month.

I hopped on bareback earlier this week for a quick spin in the parking lot. Having had two massive trail rides this week, and with the heat sucking any excess energy out, I figured it was a now or never event.

I did a test run in the outdoor ring to see if I could trot and brake without falling off ... and while I was definitely wobbly, I figured I was good to go with M and her supersafe paint on a quiet stroll. M then pulled into the parking lot, saw me doing my shenanigans and was up for the challenge.

It was awesome! Actually felt better than stirrupless riding as the contact between my skin and the horse created heat and suction. We even trotted. Twice! And on the second trot, M powered through to a stronger stride. I squeaked out a “help” as I wobbled all over my poor Q but he was a trooper and M slowed down a bit for me.




I will definitely be adding this to my repertoire. But it does feel good to have enough trust and confidence in myself and my horse to have done this after a 30 year abstinence.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Q gets acupuncture

Gloomy November

Preparing Patagonia

Cold Sunshine

Canter Protocol