Lesson in connection

We had a lovely group lesson at the barn with our fearless leader T, and she helped me begin to tackle the connection I want to work with this summer. Much bending left and right, much resistance at first from Q but then we got it and started to apply it to the trot and canter. I should probably take a video before and after so we can witness the progress over the next few months.


Then it was zoom zoom zoom on the trails with fellow boarder K. Her ex-racehorse mare was several strides ahead and I could have asked Q to accelerate at any time. But I was tickled pink that he stayed quiet and attentive at a hand gallop.

Since Ive been back, Ive been delighted to feel the softness that Q has. Its like riding other horses (and sitting in less comfy saddles) has helped me find a new appreciation for my equine partner. He is so attentive, and smooth, and of course my saddle fits me like melted butter. Ahhh.

I do have a question about his greying process. Its become quite obvious lately that he has a growing white patch on either side of his whithers. No back pain, saddle fitter says all is good. But still has me worrying, perhaps unnecessarily? Anyone seen this before?



Tomorrow the custom western saddle maker comes to test the fit of his custom tree. We started the process of this custom saddle 6 months ago, and we have another 6 months to go before delivery. But tomorrow is an important milestone.


Comments

  1. We too worked on bending yesterday. Must be in the air. Or just always something to work on 😉. If he wasn’t a grey I would worry about the patches. But they can gray out so randomly it’s hard to tell. My friend’s Andalusian looked like an Appaloosa - she went in spots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Intercepted the english saddle fitter yesterday and she was quite concerned about the white patches. Saddle is off for another fitting. I guess seeing physical evidence made things more obvious.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What the whip?

Gloomy November

The Arctic Winter Riding Handbook

Trust, a two-way street

Preparing Patagonia